problems with s390 release
Bastian Blank
2004-09-11 21:10:06 UTC
I just found a serious problem with woody-sarge upgrades on s390. zipl
from s390-utils 1.3.1 uses an ioctl which was introduced somewhere after
patch 10 for 2.4.21 (it works properly with debian 2.4.27 which is
based on patch 15).

The complete error is:
| unknown ioctl: 00001268
| Error: Could not get blocksize

For a succesful upgrade, a new kernel must be installed before
s390-tools.

Bastian
--
You're too beautiful to ignore. Too much woman.
-- Kirk to Yeoman Rand, "The Enemy Within", stardate unknown
Bastian Blank
2004-09-11 21:30:14 UTC
Post by Bastian Blank
I just found a serious problem with woody-sarge upgrades on s390.
This mail is void, it works with 2.4.17 out of the archive but not with
my test 2.4.21.

Bastian
--
No one wants war.
-- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7
Arnd Bergmann
2004-09-11 21:50:06 UTC
Post by Bastian Blank
This mail is void, it works with 2.4.17 out of the archive but not with
my test 2.4.21.
Great, I was getting really worried and have already spend half an hour
hunting the bug, obviously without success. Almost hit the sent button
to notify the upstream team about a critical bug in s390tools.

BTW: Don't you have anything better to do on a Saturday night ;-) ?

Arnd <><
Bastian Blank
2004-09-11 22:10:05 UTC
Post by Arnd Bergmann
Post by Bastian Blank
This mail is void, it works with 2.4.17 out of the archive but not with
my test 2.4.21.
Great, I was getting really worried and have already spend half an hour
hunting the bug, obviously without success. Almost hit the sent button
to notify the upstream team about a critical bug in s390tools.
I may have found the problem:
| We are running under VM (64 bit mode)

So this kernel seems to lack an emulation for this ioctl.
Post by Arnd Bergmann
BTW: Don't you have anything better to do on a Saturday night ;-) ?
Depends.

Bastian
--
If there are self-made purgatories, then we all have to live in them.
-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.7
Arnd Bergmann
2004-09-11 22:20:07 UTC
Post by Bastian Blank
| We are running under VM (64 bit mode)
So this kernel seems to lack an emulation for this ioctl.
Ok. I just checked and found that the fix was merged
upstream in 2.4.22, so any kernel higher than 2.4.21 should
be safe even for 64 bit and regardless of the s390 patch
level.

Arnd <><