s390x (64 bits) support on Debian Etch
Gustavo Noronha
2007-09-11 21:50:08 UTC
[Please CC me and Ronaldo, we're not subscribed to this list]

Hello,

I am helping to asses the viability of running Zope/Plone on Debian
GNU/Linux Etch in an IBM zSeries. I've searched the release notes and
installation manual, and some FAQs, and even saw some *-s390x packages
(such as libc6-s390x) on a quick packages.debian.org search, which I
imagine are part of the multiarch support, meaning that I can run 64
bits software on a zSeries today.

I even searched the list archives, found some questions similar to mine
(from IBM people, even) which were not answered[0], and I still have
doubts on this matter. Thus, I would like to verify the information: can
I run Debian GNU/Linux Etch in 64 bits mode at all? If not, do I have
any performance penalty?

Thanks,

[0]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-s390/2006/debian-s390-200610/msg00010.html
--
Gustavo Noronha <***@mds.gov.br>
Coordenação de Sustentação e Segurança/CGI
Bastian Blank
2007-09-11 23:20:14 UTC
Post by Gustavo Noronha
[Please CC me and Ronaldo, we're not subscribed to this list]
Please set Mail-Followup-To in the mails.
Post by Gustavo Noronha
I am helping to asses the viability of running Zope/Plone on Debian
GNU/Linux Etch in an IBM zSeries. I've searched the release notes and
installation manual, and some FAQs, and even saw some *-s390x packages
(such as libc6-s390x) on a quick packages.debian.org search, which I
imagine are part of the multiarch support, meaning that I can run 64
bits software on a zSeries today.
Debian Etch includes a 64bit linux kernel and some core libs in 64bit.
With this kernel it can run any 64bit software.
Post by Gustavo Noronha
Thus, I would like to verify the information: can
I run Debian GNU/Linux Etch in 64 bits mode at all?
Yes.
Post by Gustavo Noronha
If not, do I have
any performance penalty?
No. 32bit code is usually slightly faster. The code size is smaller and
the cache can hold more of them.

Bastian
--
"That unit is a woman."