Adding DASD to Debian wheezy..
Dave Jones
2012-10-26 13:50:02 UTC
Hello everyone.

I have installed the latest version of Wheezy here and it is running
very well; good job developers. I now want to add a new DASD drive and
have it come on-line automatically at boot time....what is the approved
"Debian way" of doing this? Will I have to do a mkinitrd and zipl as I
do for RedHat or SuSE?

Thanks and have a good weekend.

DJ
--
Dave Jones
V/Soft Software
Stephen Powell
2012-10-26 16:10:02 UTC
Post by Dave Jones
Hello everyone.
I have installed the latest version of Wheezy here and it is running
very well; good job developers. I now want to add a new DASD drive and
have it come on-line automatically at boot time....what is the approved
"Debian way" of doing this? Will I have to do a mkinitrd and zipl as I
do for RedHat or SuSE?
Thanks and have a good weekend.
Hi Dave. Wheezy uses sysconfig-hardware for this. To have the DASD
come online automatically, follow a procedure similar to the one below.
Do this as root.

cd /etc/sysconfig/hardware
touch config-ccw-0.0.0204
update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)

The above example assumes that the device number to be added is 0204.
Change this as appropriate for your system.

There are some bug reports against sysconfig-hardware that you might
want to take a look at. They haven't been fixed, but the bug reports
show how to fix them.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?dist=unstable;package=sysconfig-hardware

You might also find some of my web pages available on my web site
useful:

http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/index.htm
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
Dave Jones
2012-10-26 20:10:01 UTC
Hello, Stephen.

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it it. I have found
(accidentally :-) ) that if I simply do the touch command and not the
update-initramfsm command, the kernel picks up the new device at the
next boot as well. I'm coming from a RedHat/SUSE zLinux background, and
finding out howe Debian (and gentoo, as well) do this common tasks is a
bit of a challenge.

Thanks for the pointers to the bug list, they have some good information
there.....and I am already well acquainted with your web pages on
DASD_DIAG, etc. for Debian. :-)

Have a good one, too.

DJ
Post by Stephen Powell
Post by Dave Jones
Hello everyone.
I have installed the latest version of Wheezy here and it is running
very well; good job developers. I now want to add a new DASD drive and
have it come on-line automatically at boot time....what is the approved
"Debian way" of doing this? Will I have to do a mkinitrd and zipl as I
do for RedHat or SuSE?
Thanks and have a good weekend.
Hi Dave. Wheezy uses sysconfig-hardware for this. To have the DASD
come online automatically, follow a procedure similar to the one below.
Do this as root.
cd /etc/sysconfig/hardware
touch config-ccw-0.0.0204
update-ministrants -uk $(uname -r)
Stephen Powell
2012-10-26 21:20:01 UTC
I have found (accidentally :-) ) that if I simply do the touch command
and not the update-initramfs command, the kernel picks up the new device
at the next boot as well.
Yes, in a "plain vanilla" implementation, that is probably true.
But if you implement the suggestions in Debian Bug report 621080,
the config files are in the initial RAM file system. Thus, making
changes in this area really should be followed by a re-build of the
initial RAM file system. (Which will also result in zipl being run
afterwords, if your system is configured properly.)
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :