Debian installation media question.
T***@synoran.com
2005-12-07 13:40:14 UTC
I am new to Linux and Debian. I would like to download Debian S/390 for
installation on a
z890 processor. I have set up an LPAR for this purpose. I will not be
using z/VM.

I want to know if I can download Debian S/390, burn a CD and do most of
the installation from the CD
on the OS/2 system that supports the HMC? I see from the site that "Support to ipl off an installation CD has
been added back in the version of the installer that will be released with
Etch".

Without "Etch" I am not clear on how much of Debian I can install from a
CD (the installer or the boot loader).
Do you know when "Etch" will be available? Sounds like I may need it.

Could someone clarify this part of the Debian install process on the
S/390?

Thank you.

Ted Keesey
Synoran
Systems 390 Administrator
Frans Pop
2005-12-07 14:00:22 UTC
Post by T***@synoran.com
I want to know if I can download Debian S/390, burn a CD and do most of
the installation from the CD
on the OS/2 system that supports the HMC? I see from the site that
"Support to ipl off an installation CD has been added back in the
version of the installer that will be released with Etch".
Although with Etch you can boot off the CD, the installation is in fact no
different from the other installation methods which means that most of
the installation will be done over the network.
After setting up the network, you will be offered to continue the
installation over an SSH connection. All installer components and
packages are downloaded from mirrors.

If you burn a CD, you can however use that as a source to install
additional packages after the reboot, although you may have to configure
it manually.

See also this README file, which is included on the CD:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-cd/trunk/data/etch/s390/README.boot?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

Cheers,
FJP