s390x Install
Martin, Larry D
2012-11-06 15:10:02 UTC
I am trying once again to install Debian on an lpar. I have downloaded the latest wheezy and have made it to the dasd configuration.

I am now stuck in the loop where it continues to ask for a device. I was told once that this is because the list of eligible devices was too large. I thought I saw an entry on this list that said a file could be edited to get past this point.

Can someone tell me what file this might be (and also what command do I use to edit the file?).

Thanks, ...........Larry

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Prince George’s
County Government or Prince George's County 7th Judicial Circuit
Court proprietary information or Protected Health Information,
which is privileged and confidential. This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and
attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited by federal law
and may expose you to civil and/or criminal penalties. If you have
received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.
Dave Jones
2012-11-07 16:00:02 UTC
Larry, you might try using the cio_ignore= kernel option to limit the
number of addresses the zLinux kernel looks for at boot time. You might
try something like this:

cio_ignore=all,!0.0.1150,!0.0.fd00-0.0.fd02

will ignore at boot time all devices except those at addresses 1150, and
FD00-FD02.

I would put it in the generic parameter file you use at boot time to
load the kernel and initrd files.

DJ
--
Dave Jones
V/Soft Software
Philipp Kern
2012-11-30 21:20:01 UTC
Post by Dave Jones
Larry, you might try using the cio_ignore= kernel option to limit the
number of addresses the zLinux kernel looks for at boot time. You might
cio_ignore=all,!0.0.1150,!0.0.fd00-0.0.fd02
will ignore at boot time all devices except those at addresses 1150, and
FD00-FD02.
I would put it in the generic parameter file you use at boot time to
load the kernel and initrd files.
Thanks Dave. I just added this to "s390 Boot Parameters"[1]:

| If you boot the installer in a logical partition (LPAR) or virtual
| machine (VM) where a lot of devices are visible, you might want to
| instruct the kernel to restrict the list to a fixed set of devices. This
| is advised for the installer's boot process if a lot of disks are
| visible. The "cio_ignore" option supports both a blacklist (to only
| disallow a few devices) and a whitelist (to only allow specific
| devices):
|
| <informalexample role="example"><screen>
| # blacklist: just ignore the two devices 300 and 301
| cio_ignore=0.0.0300-0.0.0301
| # whitelist: ignore everything but 1150, FD00, FD01 and FD02
| cio_ignore=all,!0.0.1150,!0.0.fd00-0.0.fd02
| </screen></informalexample>
|
| Please note that all devices numbers' hex digits need to be specified in
| lower case. To be considered during the installer's boot process the
| above option needs to be added to <filename>parmfile.debian</filename>.

But I'm neither an English native speaker nor a documentation guy.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.s390/ch05s01.html#idp5194000
Dave Jones
2012-12-01 19:50:02 UTC
Thanks, Philipp. The text looks fine, even if you are not a native
speaker. :-)

Have a good one, too.

DJ