wheezy installer images fail on hercules
Andreas Metzler
2012-05-19 17:30:02 UTC
Hello,

FYI I just tried to install wheezy on hercules, using
http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-s390/current/images/generic/*
with http://www.josefsipek.net/docs/s390-linux/hercules-s390.html

I got "ERROR: No CTC or ESCON connections" although devlist showed
otherwise.

Switching to
http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-s390/current/images/generic/*
(without any changes to my setup, I just switched images) worked.

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'
Philipp Kern
2012-05-19 22:40:02 UTC
Post by Andreas Metzler
FYI I just tried to install wheezy on hercules, using
http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-s390/current/images/generic/*
with http://www.josefsipek.net/docs/s390-linux/hercules-s390.html
I got "ERROR: No CTC or ESCON connections" although devlist showed
otherwise.
Switching to
http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-s390/current/images/generic/*
(without any changes to my setup, I just switched images) worked.
Indeed, thanks for the report. It seems that the kernel driver switched from
cu3088 to ctcm (the driver name is hardcoded in s390-netdevice). Furthermore I
only see «/sys/bus/ccw/devices/0.0.0a00», i.e. just one device instead of its
write partner 0.0.0a01. The same issue has been fixed in sysconfig-hardware
with #566632, but there both devices turned up.

Stephen, Waldi, do you know of a corresponding upstream change apart from the
driver renaming?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern
Philipp Kern
2012-05-22 14:20:02 UTC
Post by Philipp Kern
Indeed, thanks for the report. It seems that the kernel driver switched from
cu3088 to ctcm (the driver name is hardcoded in s390-netdevice). Furthermore I
only see «/sys/bus/ccw/devices/0.0.0a00», i.e. just one device instead of its
write partner 0.0.0a01. The same issue has been fixed in sysconfig-hardware
with #566632, but there both devices turned up.
This works for me (with the adjusted initrd):

0A00.2 CTCI 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2

Does that also work for you, Andreas, with the squeeze kernel?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern
Andreas Metzler
2012-05-27 09:20:01 UTC
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Philipp Kern
Indeed, thanks for the report. It seems that the kernel driver
switched from cu3088 to ctcm (the driver name is hardcoded in
s390-netdevice). Furthermore I only see
«/sys/bus/ccw/devices/0.0.0a00», i.e. just one device instead of
its write partner 0.0.0a01. The same issue has been fixed in
sysconfig-hardware with #566632, but there both devices turned up.
0A00.2 CTCI 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2
Does that also work for you, Andreas, with the squeeze kernel?
-v please. ;-) I am s390 agnostic, I would need something like "at the
hercules console type in the exact string when X happens"

BTW I have been unable to complete installations with stable images
either. - The virtual machine just hangs at some point during the
unpack phase. Symptoms like a hardware/heating or memory problem. I
have never experienced anything like this in other circumstances but
hercules generates a rather peculiar workload (100% CPU for a long
time). Or is this related to AMD64 kernel with i386 userland?

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'
Alessandro Cherubini
2012-05-27 11:20:02 UTC
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Philipp Kern
[...]
Hello, I have exactly the same problem. I just downloaded the last wheezy
updated installation cd.iso ( may 12 ). I IPL d390.ins, all works fine since I
have to choose the network device; this is my Hercules config line:

0A00.2 CTCI 192.168.50.1 192.168.50.2

Thanks for your help
Regards
Alessandro
Philipp Kern
2012-05-27 16:00:03 UTC
Post by Andreas Metzler
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Philipp Kern
Indeed, thanks for the report. It seems that the kernel driver
switched from cu3088 to ctcm (the driver name is hardcoded in
s390-netdevice). Furthermore I only see
«/sys/bus/ccw/devices/0.0.0a00», i.e. just one device instead of
its write partner 0.0.0a01. The same issue has been fixed in
sysconfig-hardware with #566632, but there both devices turned up.
0A00.2 CTCI 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2
Does that also work for you, Andreas, with the squeeze kernel?
-v please. ;-) I am s390 agnostic, I would need something like "at the
hercules console type in the exact string when X happens"
That network line should work with the squeeze d-i. It should also work with
the newest s390 (or s390x) daily. And as said the line in the tutorial was
wrong.
Post by Andreas Metzler
BTW I have been unable to complete installations with stable images
either. - The virtual machine just hangs at some point during the
unpack phase. Symptoms like a hardware/heating or memory problem. I
have never experienced anything like this in other circumstances but
hercules generates a rather peculiar workload (100% CPU for a long
time). Or is this related to AMD64 kernel with i386 userland?
I guess you'd need to be more specific here. amd64 vs. i386 shouldn't be any
problem, it's a pure user-level program. However it's very intense for
anything laptop-ish or desktop without proper cooling.

This means that you get to the SSH installer, configure everything and then it
hangs without you being able to invoke a new SSH connection?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern
Andreas Metzler
2012-05-27 17:30:02 UTC
[...]
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Andreas Metzler
Post by Philipp Kern
0A00.2 CTCI 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2
Does that also work for you, Andreas, with the squeeze kernel?
-v please. ;-) I am s390 agnostic, I would need something like "at the
hercules console type in the exact string when X happens"
That network line should work with the squeeze d-i. It should also work with
the newest s390 (or s390x) daily. And as said the line in the tutorial was
wrong.
I did not get that. So I understand I should change s390.cnf like
this:

-# network s390 realbox
-0A00,0A01 CTCI -n /dev/net/tun -t 1500 10.1.1.2 10.1.1.1
+0A00.2 CTCI 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2

This does not seem to make difference. (I am using 192.168.0.x
instead of 10.1.1.x)
---------------
devlist
0:0009 3215
0:000C 3505 * eof
0:000E 1403 ./prt/print00e.txt crlf
0:001F 3270
0:0120 3390 ./dasd/3390.LINUX.0120 [3339 cyls] open
0:0581 3420 *
0:0A00 3088 CTCI 192.168.0.1/192.168.0.2 (tun0) open
0:0A01 3088 CTCI 192.168.0.1/192.168.0.2 (tun0) open
---------------

"the newest s390 (or s390x) daily" - That is the one from May 8, 2012?
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Andreas Metzler
BTW I have been unable to complete installations with stable images
either. - The virtual machine just hangs at some point during the
unpack phase. Symptoms like a hardware/heating or memory problem. I
have never experienced anything like this in other circumstances but
hercules generates a rather peculiar workload (100% CPU for a long
time). Or is this related to AMD64 kernel with i386 userland?
I guess you'd need to be more specific here.
***@argenau:/tmp/EXIM4$ uname -a && dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH
Linux argenau 3.2.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun May 13 08:48:40 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
i386
Post by Philipp Kern
amd64 vs. i386 shouldn't be any problem, it's a pure user-level program.
ok.
Post by Philipp Kern
However it's very intense for
anything laptop-ish or desktop without proper cooling.
That is what I was suspecting.
Post by Philipp Kern
This means that you get to the SSH installer, configure everything
and then it hangs without you being able to invoke a new SSH
connection?
No, it hangs at some later point. Non-deteministic.

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'
Philipp Kern
2012-05-29 08:00:02 UTC
Post by Andreas Metzler
"the newest s390 (or s390x) daily" - That is the one from May 8, 2012?
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/s390x/ or
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/s390/

Something post-May 23-ish.

Kind regards
Phliipp Kern
Andreas Metzler
2012-06-07 18:10:02 UTC
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Andreas Metzler
"the newest s390 (or s390x) daily" - That is the one from May 8, 2012?
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/s390x/ or
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/s390/
Something post-May 23-ish.
Thanks, seems to work.

I am using the cf from the tutorial though (0A00,0A01 CTCI -d -n
/dev/net/tun -t 1500 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.1), with "0A00.2 CTCI
192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2" I got connection rejected when trying to ssh
into the installer.

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'