New maintainer needed for Hercules?
Frans Pop
2005-09-10 16:00:09 UTC
Hi all,

Currently Matt Zimmerman is maintainer of the debian package for Hercules.
Unfortunately there has not been an update of the packages since February
2003 and the latest 3.02 version has yet to be packaged.

Because there is a long standing RC bug open against the package (that
even has a patch) [1], it has been removed from testing and is now being
processed for complete removal by the Debian QA project.

IMO it would be a great pity to loose this package, as Hercules is a great
help, amongst others for development and testing of the Debian Installer
(for which I mainly use it myself).

So the question is: should Hercules get a new maintainer and is there
anybody willing to take that job.

The main problem with packaging the new version appears to be that the
upstream source contains some unversioned shared libraries [2].

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/251287

P.S. I use a self-compiled version of 3.02 currently (which works fine),
so losing the Debian packages is not a complete disaster, but it still
would be a shame.
Peter 'p2' De Schrijver
2005-09-10 16:20:11 UTC
Hi *,
Post by Frans Pop
Hi all,
Currently Matt Zimmerman is maintainer of the debian package for Hercules.
Unfortunately there has not been an update of the packages since February
2003 and the latest 3.02 version has yet to be packaged.
Because there is a long standing RC bug open against the package (that
even has a patch) [1], it has been removed from testing and is now being
processed for complete removal by the Debian QA project.
IMO it would be a great pity to loose this package, as Hercules is a great
help, amongst others for development and testing of the Debian Installer
(for which I mainly use it myself).
So the question is: should Hercules get a new maintainer and is there
anybody willing to take that job.
The main problem with packaging the new version appears to be that the
upstream source contains some unversioned shared libraries [2].
I would be willing to invest some time in maintaining this package. I
have some background in using mainframes from my university time. We did
such evil things like running curses on 3270 terminals and writing
non-preemptive multithreading libraries on CMS.

Cheers,

Peter (p2).
Matt Zimmerman
2005-09-10 18:40:08 UTC
Post by Frans Pop
Currently Matt Zimmerman is maintainer of the debian package for Hercules.
Unfortunately there has not been an update of the packages since February
2003 and the latest 3.02 version has yet to be packaged.
The 3.x series introduces some shared libraries upstream which are not
maintained in a policy-compliant manner. Discussions with
upstream about this didn't reach a resolution, and their yahoogroups
mailing lists have been refusing my posts intermittently for the entire
time I've been subscribed. It's fairly frustrating, and among other things
has led to a loss of interest in Hercules for me. The package needs a new
maintainer.

I've been in contact with a few people about taking it over, but so far none
of them have been successful.
--
- mdz