Installation Help on Z9
THOMAS DELANY
2008-08-25 21:30:12 UTC
Can anyone out there give me a little nudge in the right direction for getting Debian running on a Z9 in an LPAR?

I have tried both Etch and Lenny without any success. I am trying to install from a tape image that I can IPL. I have had not problems in creating the tape image, or in getting it to IPL. The problem has come in with the network adapter.

With Etch, when the kernel boots from tape, no network adapters seem to be detected. With Lenny, I get farther, but the network adapter that I need to use still does not appear to get detected.

The adapter that I need to use is an OSA adapter in LCS mode. Lenny detects another OSA adapter on the system that is running in QDIO mode, but I cannot use that one because it does not have connectivity to the world.

I cannot seem to come up with the right kernel parameters for the kernel parameter file to make it load the driver for the OSA adapter in LCS mode. The installer does not detect the LCS adapter, and that is not even a choice presented to me by it.

I was able to get a Slackware kernel to find the OSA adapter (the one in LCS mode), but the kernel parameters (or how I need to specify them) seem to be different, because the parameters that worked with Slackware got me nowhere with Debian.

As I initially asked, can someone nudge me in the right direction? I have read through what documentation that I can find looking for the answer, to no avail.

Tom Delany
Bastian Blank
2008-08-26 13:00:18 UTC
Post by THOMAS DELANY
Can anyone out there give me a little nudge in the right direction for
getting Debian running on a Z9 in an LPAR?
I have tried both Etch and Lenny without any success. I am trying to
install from a tape image that I can IPL. I have had not problems in
creating the tape image, or in getting it to IPL. The problem has come
in with the network adapter.
Glad to hear that it also works in a LPAR. I'm usualy only able to test
within z/VM.
Post by THOMAS DELANY
With Etch, when the kernel boots from tape, no network adapters seem
to be detected. With Lenny, I get farther, but the network adapter
that I need to use still does not appear to get detected.
So Etch does not even detect the QDIO adapter?
Post by THOMAS DELANY
The adapter that I need to use is an OSA adapter in LCS mode. Lenny
detects another OSA adapter on the system that is running in QDIO
mode, but I cannot use that one because it does not have connectivity
to the world.
I'm afraid but LCS support was removed from the installer years ago.
You can either set it up by hand or use QDIO like everyone else.
Post by THOMAS DELANY
I cannot seem to come up with the right kernel parameters for the
kernel parameter file to make it load the driver for the OSA adapter
in LCS mode. The installer does not detect the LCS adapter, and that
is not even a choice presented to me by it.
Because the kernel module is missing from the installer.

Bastian
--
We fight only when there is no other choice. We prefer the ways of
peaceful contact.
THOMAS DELANY
2008-08-26 14:10:12 UTC
*sigh*

No Etch did not seem to detect the QDIO adapter for whatever reason. Lenny did, however.

I am pretty much stuck with lcs (for whatever reason, they don't want me to use the other adapter). I am not sure how I am going to get the driver in there to configure it by hand if it is missing from the installer. Looks like I can't get there from here.

Thanks,

Tom