Failed to update to 2.6.14 from 2.6.11
Ivan Warren
2005-11-22 17:22:42 UTC
Gentlemen,

I am trying to upgrade my linux kernel from 2.6.11-1 to 2.6.14-2

As I do so, the following occurs :

<LOG>
Setting up linux-image-2.6.14-2-s390 (2.6.14-2) ...
Using /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
Full list of probed ramdisk generating tools : /usr/sbin/mkinitrd
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs.
yaird error: can't open /proc/bus/input/devices (fatal)
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.14-2-s390 (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up linux-image-2.6.14-1-s390x (2.6.14-2) ...
Using /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
Full list of probed ramdisk generating tools : /usr/sbin/mkinitrd
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs.
yaird error: can't open /proc/bus/input/devices (fatal)
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.14-2-s390x (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
linux-image-2.6.14-2-s390
linux-image-2.6.14-2-s390x
</LOG>

Manually attempting the mkinitrd.yaird step yields the following :

<LOG>
# mkinitrd.yaird -o /tmp/foo 2.6.14-2-s390x
yaird error: can't open /proc/bus/input/devices (fatal)
</LOG>

For info, /proc/bus contains no entry.

Next thing I tried was to do the initrd myself (just to see) with initrd.

But the system won't IPL (init killed, kernel panic.. obviously it fails to
mount the root fs)..

My parm line is as follows :

root=/dev/dasd/0.0.0108/part1 dasd=0108-010A ro vmpoff="LOGOFF"
BOOT_IMAGE=1

Anyone has a suggested course of action ?

Thanks,

--Ivan
Frans Pop
2005-11-22 19:00:34 UTC
If you need to install the 2.6.14 kernel, you will probably have to
look for the relevant check in yaird and comment it out. If not, your
best option is probably just to reinstall the 2.6.11 kernel and remove
the 2.6.14 kernel.
One other alternative. You can also try installing initramfs-tools and try
to use that instead of yaird to create the initrd.
Ivan Warren
2005-11-22 21:00:19 UTC
If you need to install the 2.6.14 kernel, you will probably have to
look for the relevant check in yaird and comment it out. If
not, your
best option is probably just to reinstall the 2.6.11 kernel
and remove
the 2.6.14 kernel.
One other alternative. You can also try installing
initramfs-tools and try
to use that instead of yaird to create the initrd.
Ok.. reported a bug for yaird.. (bug # pending)

Now.. Also tried using good ole mkinitrd but now this won't boot :

mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
umount: devfs: not mounted
mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init×

Of course, I know the devfs messages are expected (I need to keep them in
the fstab for now because I need it for 2.6.11)..

But apparently, the root= semantic might have changed because of that..
(leading to an impossibility to mount /)

Any clue ?

--Ivan

PS : Do Not panic.. This is *NOT* a production system - it's just something
I setup to learn. Furthermore, I use a menu driven zipl so I can switch
between 2.6.11 & 2.6.14 at will ! and lastly, since I am running this on
hercules, I have a lot of latitude in testing various things..
Frans Pop
2005-11-22 21:10:12 UTC
That definitely won't work...
Post by Ivan Warren
Any clue ?
Well, did you try initramfs-tools? It's command to create the initrd is
'mkinitramfs'.
Ivan Warren
2005-11-22 21:40:10 UTC
Post by Frans Pop
Well, did you try initramfs-tools? It's command to create the
initrd is
'mkinitramfs'.
Ok..

Close.. but no cigar !

Freeing unused kernel memory: 120k freed
Begin: Initializing /dev ...
/sbin/udevsynthesize: 13: /lib/udev/udevsynthesize: not found
Done.
Begin: Loading modules ...
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ...
Done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ...
Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
Done.
ALERT× /dev/dasd/0.0.0108/part1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell×

BusyBox v1.01 (Debian 1:1.01-3) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/ #
.ls /dev
ls /dev
Ö1;35mconsoleÖ0m Ö1;35mnullÖ0m
/ #

Hmm.. Should I report a initramfs-tools bugreport ? (now - I see there is a
bunch of bugs outstanding on initramfs, so no doubt this would be a dup)..

I might need to customize mkinitramfs first (although it sure didn't
complain about anything when the initramfs image was created)..

--Ivan
Frans Pop
2005-11-22 22:20:17 UTC
Post by Ivan Warren
Hmm.. Should I report a initramfs-tools bugreport ? (now - I see there
is a bunch of bugs outstanding on initramfs, so no doubt this would be
a dup)..
Maybe not. I'm not sure anyone would have taken the plunge for s/390 yet.
Post by Ivan Warren
Done.
ALERT× /dev/dasd/0.0.0108/part1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell×
Seems it has the same basic problem: does not know how to support dasd...
Not sure if this [2] is also a factor here.
Post by Ivan Warren
I might need to customize mkinitramfs first (although it sure didn't
complain about anything when the initramfs image was created)..
Well, to quote one of the developers involved with yaird : "yaird is
designed to be anal". It will generate an error whenever it gets into a
situation it does not like or support. I guess this is a good viewpoint
for an initrd generator as it will prevent you ending up with an
unbootable system [1].
It is also designed to generate a "minimal" initrd: just containing what's
needed to boot the current configuration.

initramfs-tools has other goals and is more likely to fail on reboot.
It will, by default, generate an "all inclusive" initrd for maximum
portability (remove your dasd from your current system, hotplug it into
the one in the next room and reboot ;-)

Cheers,
FJP

[1] In a vmware emulator it still fails on reboot because the BusLogic
disk driver does not support sysfs and is therefore "silently" not
included.

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-s390/2005/11/msg00010.html

Frans Pop
2005-11-22 19:00:35 UTC
Post by Ivan Warren
I am trying to upgrade my linux kernel from 2.6.11-1 to 2.6.14-2
<LOG>
Setting up linux-image-2.6.14-2-s390 (2.6.14-2) ...
Using /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
Full list of probed ramdisk generating tools : /usr/sbin/mkinitrd
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs.
yaird error: can't open /proc/bus/input/devices (fatal)
Failed to create initrd image.
Please file a bugreport against Yaird ('reportbug yaird'). On S/390 it
should not fail if /proc/bus/input/devices is not available.
On other architectures this is needed to check which drivers need to be
loaded to support the keyboard, but on S/390 it makes no sense.