Custom Kernel Building in Debian
Stephen Powell
2009-11-16 19:50:01 UTC
Maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel here, but I have recently collected and organized
my notes on custom kernel building in Debian and have put them on the web at the
following URL: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

Maybe it will be useful to somebody. If there is anything incorrect on this page,
regardless of how small or inconsequential, please tell me. If it's out-of-date,
please tell me. If it's redundant, or if there's better documentation somewhere
else, please tell me. I welcome all feedback. I am subscribed to debian-s390,
but not to debian-kernel; so if you post to debian-kernel please cc me. I
welcome any and all feedback.

Commence firing. Fire at will.
Manoj Srivastava
2009-11-16 20:10:03 UTC
Post by Stephen Powell
Maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel here, but I have recently collected
and organized my notes on custom kernel building in Debian and have
http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
Commence firing. Fire at will.
I like that, and would like to be able to incorporate this HOWTO
in the kernel-package package. What license are you distributing the
document under? If it is a free license, I would like it to be in the
kernel-package docs for Squeeze.

manoj
--
If graphics hackers are so smart, why can't they get the bugs out of
fresh paint?
Stephen Powell
2009-11-16 20:30:01 UTC
Post by Manoj Srivastava
I like that, and would like to be able to incorporate this HOWTO
in the kernel-package package. What license are you distributing the
document under? If it is a free license, I would like it to be in the
kernel-package docs for Squeeze.
I'm glad you like it.
As stated in the disclaimer section, the license is public domain.
Use whatever you want. A little blurb of attribution would be nice though.

Regards,
Steve
maximilian attems
2009-11-17 09:20:01 UTC
Post by Stephen Powell
Maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel here, but I have recently collected and organized
my notes on custom kernel building in Debian and have put them on the web at the
following URL: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
first of all you shall build your linux-2.6 in ~/src/
no compellent reason to do it in /usr/src

second you shall use make deb-pkg no need to use kernel-package
on a recent linux-2.6 tarball (>= 2.6.31). it will just produce
the linux-image.
Post by Stephen Powell
Commence firing. Fire at will.
hehe, see above :)

kind regards
Manoj Srivastava
2009-11-17 16:20:03 UTC
Post by maximilian attems
second you shall use make deb-pkg no need to use kernel-package
on a recent linux-2.6 tarball (>= 2.6.31). it will just produce
the linux-image.
Not if you want to produce headers, doc, or debug packages from
your custom sources. The upstream deb-pkg is nice and all, but does not
offer the same functionality as kernel-package does.
--
Most people prefer certainty to truth.
Stephen Powell
2009-11-17 20:40:02 UTC
Post by maximilian attems
first of all you shall build your linux-2.6 in ~/src/
no compellent reason to do it in /usr/src
second you shall use make deb-pkg no need to use kernel-package
on a recent linux-2.6 tarball (>= 2.6.31). it will just produce
the linux-image.
Thank you for your feedback. In response to your feedback I have created a new
section in my document called "Alternatives". It's at the end. If you visit the
site and don't see it, be sure to manually reload the page to make sure you are
not looking at an obsolete cached version of the page. Here's the link again.