IBM z/VM + z/Series + Debian
anandhcoe
2010-09-23 06:30:01 UTC
Hi Stephen,

The reply was very useful and i am still facing problem in
accessing my ftp server via putty. I will clearly follow up what i have done
till now,

* The debian installer opened.
* I selected the expert mode
* then selected "Choose a mirror of the debian mirror" as you see below ,

"
ââââââââââ⤠[?] Debian installer main menu âââââââââââ
â â
â Choose the next step in the install process: â
â â
â Configure the network device â
â Configure a network using static addressing â
â Choose a mirror of the Debian archive â
â Download installer components â
â Change debconf priority â
â Save debug logs â
â Execute a shell â
â Abort the installation â
â â
ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons"

* Then i selected FTP

" ââââââââââââââ⤠[?] Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
ââââââââââââââââ
â Please select the protocol to be used for downloading files. If
â unsure, select "http"; it is less prone to problems involving
â firewalls.
â Protocol for file downloads:
â http
â ftp
â <Go Back>

ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons"

* THen i gave my mirror hostname ( FTP server host name where files reside)

ââââââââââââ⤠[!!] Choose a mirror of the Debian archive âââââââââââââ
â â
â Please enter the hostname of the mirror from which Debian will be â
â downloaded. â
â â
â An alternate port can be specified using the standard â
â [hostname]:[port] format. â
â â
â Debian archive mirror hostname: â
â â
â xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:xx_________________________________________________ â
â â
â <Go Back> <Continue> â
â â
ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons"

* THen It asked for directory where i gave my directory

" âââââââââââââ⤠[!!] Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
âââââââââââââââ
â â
â Please enter the directory in which the mirror of the Debian archive â
â is located. â
â â
â Debian archive mirror directory: â
â â
â /deb/________________________________________________________________ â
â â
â <Go Back> <Continue> â
â â
âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons"

* Then gave the proxy as blank & continued the installation.

" ââââââââââââââ⤠[!] Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
âââââââââââââââ
â â
â If you need to use a FTP proxy to access the outside world, enter the â
â proxy information here. Otherwise, leave this blank. â
â â
â The proxy information should be given in the standard form of â
â "http://[[user][:pass]@]host[:port]/". â
â â
â FTP proxy information (blank for none): â
â â
â _____________________________________________________________________ â
â â
â <Go Back> <Continue> â
â â
âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons"

* Then the progress is shown as follows ,

ââââââââââââââââââ⤠Checking the Debian archive mirror
ââââââââââââââââââââ
â 75%
â Downloading the Release file...

âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

* Then the error msg is thrown,

âââââââââââââ⤠[!!] Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
âââââââââââââââ
â Bad archive mirror â
â The specified Debian archive mirror is either not available, or does â
â not have a valid Release file on it. Please try a different mirror. â
â â
â <Go Back> <Continue> â
â â
âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

<Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons

Could you pls help on the issue. I have given my problem in a detailed
manner... Thanks in advance...
Stephen Powell
2010-09-23 14:40:01 UTC
Post by anandhcoe
[...]
OK, here are some things to check.

(1) Make sure that your FTP server has been set up to allow "anonymous ftp".
That is, it must allow a user name of "anonymous" to login with any password.
And this anonymous id must have read access to the entire Debian archive.
The server must support both active and passive mode FTP transfers.
Make sure it does, and that you don't have any firewall issues preventing
this from working. Test all this using the CMS FTP client prior to
starting the installation.

(2) During the early part of the installation, while you are still using
the 3215 virtual console, it will prompt you for the IP address(es) of
a Domain Name Server(s) (DNS). Make sure you supply a valid IP address
(not a domain name) of a valid Domain Name Server that can be accessed
by the mainframe. You can check this prior to starting the installation
by seeing if your VM/CMS FTP client can access that DNS. The DNS that
you supply must be capable of resolving the domain name of your ftp server.
You can check this by using the nslookup command from CMS prior to
starting the installation. (Of course, you must have the FTP client
code disk, TCPMAINT 592, accessed.)

(3) Make sure that PuTTY has the UTF-8 character set
(Window -> Translation -> UTF-8) or the window borders, scroll bars, etc.
used by the Debian installer will look horrible, as the above copy-and-paste
screen shots look horrible.

(4) If you still have trouble, try using an IP address instead of a
domain name when prompted for the domain name of your ftp server.

(5) If you still have trouble, then you probably don't have your FTP
server set up properly. It must look like a Debian mirror to the
Debian installer. I'm afraid I can't be of much help here, since I've
never set up my own internal Debian mirror. I have always used an
external public Debian mirror to do my installs. Perhaps you could
set up a Debian mirror from a PC that has access to the external
internet, then once you have it working, move it to another LAN
segment to which the mainframe has access. (Of course, if it can't
access the external internet from its new location, it can't sync
up with the official mirrors once you move it.)

Perhaps this link will get you started with creating your internal
Debian mirror:

http://www.debian.org/mirrors/ftpmirror

If you need help setting up your internal mirror or getting it to work,
ask for help on the debian-mirrors mailing list. You can limit your
mirror to the "s390" and "all"

HTH
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
anandhcoe
2010-09-30 06:20:01 UTC
Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. I had set up an anonymous ftp for
the installation and yet the problem prevails.The error msg below is shown.

"The specified Debian archive mirror is either not available, or does
not have a valid Release file on it. Please try a different mirror. "

Are there any release files or repository file needed for this and in the
image which i have download i cant find any release file or something like
that.

Could you please help on the issue and let me know if there is any other
link where i can download the Debain Linux full version with the release
files..
Stephen Powell
2010-09-30 13:40:02 UTC
Post by anandhcoe
Thanks for your valuable suggestion. I had set up an anonymous ftp for
the installation and yet the problem prevails.The error msg below is shown.
"The specified Debian archive mirror is either not available, or does
not have a valid Release file on it. Please try a different mirror. "
Are there any release files or repository file needed for this and in the
image which i have download i cant find any release file or something like
that.
Could you please help on the issue and let me know if there is any other
link where i can download the Debain Linux full version with the release
files..
The installation instructions don't contain much detail on this step.
Here is what it says:

-----

3.6.4. Setting up an installation server

If you don't have a connection to the Internet (either directly or via
a web proxy) you need to create a local installation server that can
be accessed from your S/390. This server keeps all the packages you
want to install and must make them available using NFS, HTTP or FTP.

The installation server needs to copy the exact directory structure
from any Debian GNU/Linux mirror, but only the s390 and
architecture-independent files are required. You can also copy the
contents of all installation CDs into such a directory tree.

-----

As I said in my previous post, I have no experience installing Debian from
a private mirror. I have never used a private mirror because I have never
needed to use a private mirror. At my installation, the virtual Linux servers
on z/VM have access to the external internet. Therefore, I can use a public
mirror for installation. Therefore, I do.

If due to your installation policy the virtual Linux servers are not allowed
to access a public mirror then you must create a private mirror and install
from that. Instructions for creating a private mirror can be found here:

http://www.debian.org/mirrors/ftpmirror

If you need help creating a private mirror, ask for help on the debian-mirrors
mailing list (debian-***@lists.debian.org).
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
anandhcoe
2010-11-16 14:20:02 UTC
Dear Stephen,

Am still not able to sort out the problem. It will be great that if you
clear my doubts that are prevailing,

* What is the size of the debain mirror for s390?
* What size is required in z/vm to install the debian linux?
* In referring to debain mirrors, there are some points reg resync?

Kindly help on the issue..

---
Regards,
Anandh
Stephen Powell
2010-11-17 03:10:01 UTC
Post by anandhcoe
Post by Stephen Powell
[...]
I don't know. As I said, I have always used a public mirror;
therefore, I have never attempted to set up a private mirror.
Therefore, I really don't know how much space is required for
a private mirror. I'm sure it depends on which releases and
which architectures you mirror. Again, ask this kind of question
Post by anandhcoe
* What size is required in z/vm to install the debian linux?
That, of course, depends on which packages you install.
You can find my standard configuration described on

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/diag250.htm

This seems to be adequate for a "standard system",
as long as you don't have to compile a custom kernel.
I'd add another 1000 cylinders to / if you need to do that.
Post by anandhcoe
* In referring to debain mirrors, there are some points reg resync?
Again, I know nothing about setting up a private mirror.
Ask these kinds of questions on debian-***@lists.debian.org
Your private mirror must be placed in your network in such a
location that it can sync up with a public mirror, if you're
going to keep it up-to-date, yet the private mirror must be
accessable to the TCP/IP stack of the virtual Linux server.
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :