Java on Debian s/390
Patrick Finnegan
2011-09-10 15:40:01 UTC
Has anyone got the IBM JRE working on Debian for s/390? I'm using
Debian/testing on my z890. I tried the current version (v6) of both the
32-bit and 64-bit JRE installers, and neither one worked. The 32-bit
one complained of a missing libstdc++5 (ok, that's a bit old), and the
64-bit version gives me a Java error in the installer:

Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

An internal LaunchAnywhere application error has occured and this
application cannot proceed. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid Unicode sequence: illegal
character
at java.util.Properties.loadImpl(Properties.java:360)
at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:292)
at
com.zerog.common.java.util.PropertiesUtil.loadProperties(DashoA10*..)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.<init>(DashoA10*..)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA10*..)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pat
--
Patrick Finnegan
Philipp Kern
2011-09-10 15:50:02 UTC
Post by Patrick Finnegan
Has anyone got the IBM JRE working on Debian for s/390? I'm using
Debian/testing on my z890. I tried the current version (v6) of both the
32-bit and 64-bit JRE installers, and neither one worked. The 32-bit
one complained of a missing libstdc++5 (ok, that's a bit old), and the
Installers? Use the tar archives. Works just fine for me. You can't use the
32bit version if you need libstdc++5 though, because we don't ship that in
Debian anymore (at least for s390). However the 64bit version works if you
install lib64gcc1. (And yes, s390x will hopefully come soon.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern
Patrick Finnegan
2011-09-10 18:10:01 UTC
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Patrick Finnegan
Has anyone got the IBM JRE working on Debian for s/390? I'm using
Debian/testing on my z890. I tried the current version (v6) of
both the 32-bit and 64-bit JRE installers, and neither one worked.
The 32-bit one complained of a missing libstdc++5 (ok, that's a
bit old), and the
Installers? Use the tar archives. Works just fine for me. You
can't use the 32bit version if you need libstdc++5 though, because
we don't ship that in Debian anymore (at least for s390). However
the 64bit version works if you install lib64gcc1. (And yes, s390x
will hopefully come soon.)
At least for the latest versions, the links labelled "tar archive" are
shell archives that have the installer. :(

I'll see what I can find on older releases.
--
Patrick Finnegan
Philipp Kern
2011-09-10 22:20:03 UTC
Post by Patrick Finnegan
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Patrick Finnegan
Has anyone got the IBM JRE working on Debian for s/390? I'm using
Debian/testing on my z890. I tried the current version (v6) of
both the 32-bit and 64-bit JRE installers, and neither one worked.
The 32-bit one complained of a missing libstdc++5 (ok, that's a
bit old), and the
Installers? Use the tar archives. Works just fine for me. You
can't use the 32bit version if you need libstdc++5 though, because
we don't ship that in Debian anymore (at least for s390). However
the 64bit version works if you install lib64gcc1. (And yes, s390x
will hopefully come soon.)
At least for the latest versions, the links labelled "tar archive" are
shell archives that have the installer. :(
I'll see what I can find on older releases.
And behind the IBM ID wall, oh my.

Can you try this one (coming from [0])?

SDK tgz format (deprecated)
ibm-java-sdk-6.0-9.2-linux-s390x.tgz (88 MB)

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern

[0] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html
--
.''`. Philipp Kern Debian Developer
: :' : http://philkern.de Stable Release Manager
`- finger pkern/***@db.debian.org
Stephen Powell
2011-09-11 01:10:02 UTC
Post by Philipp Kern
And yes, s390x will hopefully come soon.
That's good news, Philipp. A 64-bit user space will be a
welcome addition. On a related topic, upstream "parted"
at release 2.4 and later contains very useful enhancements
for the s390 environment. Although these enhancements will
be useful in the standard parted packages, the most important
benefits will be in the udeb packages, those used by the Debian
installer. They will, for example, allow installation to CMS
minidisks, FBA DASD, and use of the DIAG driver for the first time.
Yet the Debian package continues to use release 2.3. The package
maintainer is aware of this, or should be, but I've seen no
progress as of yet. Perhaps your influence might help.

Respectfully yours,
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
Philipp Kern
2011-09-21 14:00:03 UTC
Post by Stephen Powell
Post by Philipp Kern
And yes, s390x will hopefully come soon.
That's good news, Philipp. A 64-bit user space will be a
welcome addition.
Actually its focus is to be a replacement for the existing 31bit
userland.
Post by Stephen Powell
On a related topic, upstream "parted" at release 2.4 and later
contains very useful enhancements for the s390 environment.
Although these enhancements will be useful in the standard parted
packages, the most important benefits will be in the udeb packages,
those used by the Debian installer. They will, for example, allow
installation to CMS minidisks, FBA DASD, and use of the DIAG driver
for the first time. Yet the Debian package continues to use release
2.3. The package maintainer is aware of this, or should be, but
I've seen no progress as of yet. Perhaps your influence might help.
Now that's an entirely different topic. I trust in Colin's expertise
in that matter. Maybe we can get the new upstream version in
time for the next release, though.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern
Stephen Powell
2011-09-22 02:20:01 UTC
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Stephen Powell
That's good news, Philipp. A 64-bit user space will be a
welcome addition.
Actually its focus is to be a replacement for the existing 31bit
userland.
Right. I didn't mean to imply that the two user spaces would exist
side by side.
Post by Philipp Kern
Post by Stephen Powell
On a related topic, upstream "parted" at release 2.4 and later
contains very useful enhancements for the s390 environment.
Now that's an entirely different topic.
That depends on how you look at it. If you look at it from the
point of view of "previews of coming attractions in Debian for s390",
then it's a related topic.
Post by Philipp Kern
I trust in Colin's expertise
in that matter.
I'm not questioning Colin's competency. I'm just eager for the
benefits of the new release.
Post by Philipp Kern
Maybe we can get the new upstream version in
time for the next release, though.
That would be nice. And thanks for your reply.

Regards,
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :