Add a dasd volume.
Nelson Ducote
2013-03-02 00:00:02 UTC
Currently running Debian Squeeze 6.0.5 on an IBM System Z z9 BC.
We run under z/VM as a guest.
Today we added a 3390 volume and I was able to get it online and formatted
as /dev/dasdb1.
I can create and mount a filesystem.
However, I can't make the dasd device permanently available(online) across
reboots.
To get it online and mounted I had to resort to the following:

In /etc/rc.local I added:

/sbin/chccwdev -e 0.0.0240
mount -a to reread /etc/fstab

I am looking for a way to make the /dev/dasdb(1) come online at ipl and
therefore the /etc/fstab entry will mount the filesystem at ipl also.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Nelson Ducote IBM SSR New Orleans
Philipp Kern
2013-03-02 13:00:01 UTC
Nelson,
Post by Nelson Ducote
/sbin/chccwdev -e 0.0.0240
mount -a to reread /etc/fstab
I am looking for a way to make the /dev/dasdb(1) come online at ipl and
therefore the /etc/fstab entry will mount the filesystem at ipl also.
Debian adopted the same mechanism as the RPM-based distributions on s390
(AFAIK, never having touched one): /etc/sysconfig/hardware. Just touch
a config-ccw-0.0.0240 (be sure to use lowercase hex digits if applicable)
and potentially rebuild the initrd if it's needed early on (using
»update-initramfs -u -k `uname -r`«). That should activate the disc on-boot. If
you used debian-installer there should be a file for your existing disk
already. The alternative is passing »dasd=240« (among with the other DASDs you
need) on the kernel command-line.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern