Architecture conversion instructions (s390 -> s390x)
Stephen Powell
2012-08-11 12:00:02 UTC
Are there any architecture conversion instructions available anywhere?
(I.e. how to convert an existing s390 server to an s390x server?)
Or is it a requirement that any s390x server must be installed from
scratch?
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
Bastian Blank
2012-08-11 14:10:01 UTC
Post by Stephen Powell
Are there any architecture conversion instructions available anywhere?
(I.e. how to convert an existing s390 server to an s390x server?)
Or is it a requirement that any s390x server must be installed from
scratch?
Upgrading between architectures is not supported in Wheezy. However this
is nothing special. Go ask on debian-devel.

Bastian
--
Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
-- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1
The Fungi
2012-08-11 14:50:01 UTC
Post by Bastian Blank
Upgrading between architectures is not supported in Wheezy.
However this is nothing special. Go ask on debian-devel.
Specifically, what you're asking about is multi-arch cross-grading.
See the last section of Guillem Jover's dpkg notes to DDA back in
March if you're interested in how support is coming along in the
core package management toolchain.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(***@yuggoth.org); FINGER(***@yuggoth.org);
The Fungi
2012-08-11 15:00:02 UTC
On 2012-08-11 14:48:47 +0000 (+0000), The Fungi wrote:
[...]
Guillem Jover's dpkg notes to DDA back in March
[...]

I guess a URL would have been helpful:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/03/msg00005.html
The Fungi
2012-08-11 15:10:02 UTC
Also, if you have the time to read through the "amd64 as default
architecture" thread on debian-devel from May, skim the subthread
starting around this message from Ben Hutchings:

Stephen Powell
2012-08-17 23:40:02 UTC
Post by Bastian Blank
Post by Stephen Powell
Are there any architecture conversion instructions available anywhere?
(I.e. how to convert an existing s390 server to an s390x server?)
Or is it a requirement that any s390x server must be installed from
scratch?
Upgrading between architectures is not supported in Wheezy. However this
is nothing special. Go ask on debian-devel.
Thanks, Bastian and Jeremy, for your replies. In summary, it's not supported,
but it is possible to do it if you do things just right. Thanks for the
tips.
--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :